Stephen S. Wu
Stephen Wu is a shareholder with Silicon Valley Law Group. He advises clients concerning cutting edge information technologies, such as artificial intelligence, automated vehicles, robotics, mobile computing, cloud computing, Big Data, human-computer interfaces, and the Internet of Things. He helps clients with transactions, compliance, liability, investigations, and information governance regarding these technologies. His work includes establishing data security, privacy, and records management policies and programs. Steve counsels clients on compliance with the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation and the California Consumer Privacy Act. He assists with litigation in technology, trade secret, and copyright cases. Finally, Steve acts as outside general counsel to Silicon Valley startups and technology companies, drafting and negotiating software-as-a-service (SaaS) and AI-as-a-service (AIaaS) agreements, licenses, hardware sales agreements, HIPAA business associate agreements, marketing agreements, and other technology transactions.
Steve served as the 2010-2011 Chair of the American Bar Association Section of Science & Technology Law, and is a member of a number of the Sections Committees, including the Artificial Intelligence and Robotics, Internet of Things, Big Data, Information Security, and E-Privacy Law Committees. The American Bar Association published his book, Guide to HIPAA Security and the Law, in August 2016. Steve has written or co-written six other books on information security and the law. In 2019, he wrote book chapters for ABA publications on AI and robotics product liability and the legal issues of connected vehicle systems.
Before joining Silicon Valley Law Group, Steve was a Silicon Valley partner at Cooke Kobrick & Wu LLP. Before starting his private practice, was the second in-house attorney at VeriSign, Inc. At VeriSign, he was in charge of the team managing the company’s security policies and procedures (certificate policies and certification practice statements) supporting its secure ecommerce (public key infrastructure) services. Before VeriSign, Steve practiced with two international law firms, Jones Day and the firm now known as K&L Gates, in the areas of intellectual property, commercial, and general litigation, as well as technology licensing and transactions. From 1988 to 1990, Steve served as a law clerk to the Hon. Joseph P. Kinneary, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio. He is a 1988 graduate of Harvard Law School.
J.D., Harvard University
B.A., University of Pittsburgh
summa cum laude
Western District of Pennsylvania
Southern District of Ohio
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
California and New York
American Bar Association Section of Science & Technology Law
Member Since: 1997
Information Security Committee, ABA Section of Science & Technology Law
Member Since: 1997
High Technology Law Section, Santa Clara County Bar Association
Member Since: 2002
- 8x8, Inc.
- Arm Treasure Data
- Bank of America
- Browserstack, Inc.
- Fluent Edgeworks, LLC
- Peloton Technology, Inc.
- Drafted and negotiated artificial intelligence as a service (AIaaS) agreements for emerging AI companies
- Serves as outside general counsel for numerous technology companies, covering compliance, data security, privacy, Big Data, electronic discovery, and corporate governance matters.
- Updates public key infrastructure policy documents (certification practice statements, certificate policies, and related agreements) for a number of clients in support of their secure electronic commerce initiatives.
- Negotiation of HIPAA Business Associate Agreements for vendors and customers.
- Supporting marketing initiatives for vendors of information security products and services, focusing on how these products and services help their customers comply with regulatory retirements.
- Lead counsel for a key defendant in the Silicon Valley Voicemail Case, Jasmine Networks v. Marvell Semiconductor, Santa Clara Superior Court.
- Author, A Guide to HIPAA Security and the Law Second Edition (ABA Press 2016).
- Author, A Legal Guide to Enterprise Mobile Device Management: Managing Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) and Employer-Issued Device Programs (ABA Press 2013).
- Editor, A Guide to HIPAA Security and the Law First Edition (ABA Press 2007).
- Co-Author, Information Security: A Legal, Business, and Technical Handbook (ABA Press 2004).
- Co-Author, PKI Assessment Guidelines (ABA Press 2003).
- Author, Risk Management for Consumer Internet Payments (Nat'l Automated Clearinghouse Ass'n 2002).
- Co-Author, Digital Signatures (RSA Press 2002).
- Author, AI Product Liability Issues and Associated Risk Management, in T. Claypoole, The Law of Artificial Intelligence and Smart Machines: Understanding A.I. and the Legal Impact (ABA Press 2019).
- Author, Product Liability Issues in the U.S. and Associated Risk Management, in M. Maurer, et. al, Daimler & Benz Foundation, Autonomous Driving: Technical, Legal and Social Aspects (Springer 2016).
- Author, Drone Product Liability and Risk Management, in D. Dulo, et al., Unmanned Aircraft in the National Airspace: Critical Issues, Technology, and the Law (ABA Press 2015).
- Stephen S. Wu, Unmanned Vehicles and US Product Liability Law, 21(2) Journal of Law, Information & Science 234-254 (2011).
- Stephen S. Wu, Incorporation by Reference and Public Key Infrastructures: Moving the Law Beyond the Paper-Based World, 28 Jurimetrics Journal 317-343 (1998).
- Steve's comments in the Wall Street Journal about the Yahoo security breach: "Material Adverse Change" Clause is Rarely Triggered"
- Steve's comments on CNN Tech about the legal risks of using ephemeral messaging platforms at work: "Secret message apps on the rise at work"
- Steve is an active volunteer in Boy Scouts of America (BSA). He serves as Scoutmaster of Scouts BSA Troop 201 for girls in Los Altos, CA, and from 2014 to 2017 was Scoutmaster of Troop 201's partner troop for boys, Boy Scout Troop 37 in Los Altos.
- He is a member of the National Eagle Scout Association and served as an advisor and Vigil member of Ohlone Lodge #63, Order of the Arrow (Scouting's National Honor Society).
- Steve headed the Law Merit Badge Program at the 2010 BSA National Jamboree and served on the BSA national merit badge task force.