Stephen S. Wu
Stephen Wu is Of Counsel with Silicon Valley Law Group. He advises clients on information governance matters, focusing on information security, privacy, mobile computing, ediscovery preparedness, records management, and computer-related investigations. He reviews and writes sophisticated information security policies for large enterprises, and assists in data security regulatory compliance, incident response, breach notifications, and establishing secure electronic commerce systems. He drafts privacy policies for clients, including ones for U.S. companies with European and Asian operations. Steve assists clients in managing enterprise mobile device programs, including writing bring your own device (BYOD) and teleworking policies.
In addition, Steve represents start up companies as outside general counsel, including providing assistance with business formation and deals in which he drafts and negotiates technology-related agreements, such as master service agreements, online application/XAAS/cloud agreements, terms of service, licenses, joint ventures, development agreements, and marketing agreements. His litigation practice focuses on trade secret misappropriation, computer fraud, and data theft. Also, his practice also includes copyright and trademark litigation, as well as general commercial litigation.
Finally, Steve advises clients compliance, liability, and information governance matters in cutting edge areas of technology such as robotics, autonomous driving and unmanned vehicle systems, unmanned aerial systems (drones), artificial intelligence, haptics, human-computer interfaces, Big Data, data property rights, Internet of Things, augmented and virtual reality, and 3D printing.
Steve served as the 2010-2011 Chair of the American Bar Association Section of Science & Technology Law, and is a member of a number of the Sections Committees, including the Information Security, E-Discovery and Digital Evidence, E-Privacy Law, Artificial Intelligence and Robotics, and Big Data Committees. The American Bar Association published his book, Guide to HIPAA Security and the Law, in August 2016. Steve also served as the 2014-2015 Chair of the High Technology Law Section of the Santa Clara County Bar Association. He has written or co-written six other books on information security and the law. He wrote book chapters on product liability for a Daimler & Benz Foundation showcase publication on autonomous driving and the American Bar Association’s book on drones.
Before joining Silicon Valley Law Group, Steve was a Silicon Valley partner at Cooke Kobrick & Wu LLP. Before starting his private practice, was the second in-house attorney at VeriSign, Inc. At VeriSign, he was in charge of the team managing the company's security policies and procedures (certificate policies and certification practice statements) supporting its secure ecommerce (public key infrastructure) services. Before VeriSign, Mr. Wu practiced with two large law firms, Jones Day and the firm now known as K&L Gates, in the areas of intellectual property, commercial, and general litigation, as well as technology licensing and transactions. From 1988 to 1990, Steve served as a law clerk to the Hon. Joseph P. Kinneary, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio.
J.D., Harvard University
B.A., University of Pittsburgh
summa cum laude
Western District of Pennsylvania
Southern District of Ohio
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
California and New York
American Bar Association Section of Science & Technology Law
Member Since: 1997
Information Security Committee, ABA Section of Science & Technology Law
Member Since: 1997
High Technology Law Section, Santa Clara County Bar Association
Member Since: 2002
- 8x8, Inc.
- American Medical Association
- Bank of America
- Fluent Edgeworks, LLC
- Infrascale, Inc.
- Ministry of Economy, Trade, and Industry of Japan
- Peloton Technology, Inc.
- Starship Technologies
- Treasure Data, Inc.
- Trend Micro Incorporated
- Voltage Security, Inc. (acquired by Hewlett Packard Enterprise)
- WatchDox, Inc. (acquired by Blackberry)
- Serves as outside general counsel for UBIC North America, Inc., covering compliance, data security, privacy, Big Data, electronic discovery, and corporate governance matters.
- Updates public key infrastructure policy documents (certification practice statements, certificate policies, and related agreements) for a number of clients in support of their secure electronic commerce initiatives.
- Negotiation of HIPAA Business Associate Agreements for vendors and customers.
- Supporting marketing initiatives for vendors of information security products and services, focusing on how these products and services help their customers comply with regulatory retirements.
- Lead counsel for a key defendant in the Silicon Valley Voicemail Case, Jasmine Networks v. Marvell Semiconductor, Santa Clara Superior Court.
- Author, A Guide to HIPAA Security and the Law Second Edition (ABA Press 2016).
- Author, A Legal Guide to Enterprise Mobile Device Management: Managing Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) and Employer-Issued Device Programs (ABA Press 2013).
- Editor, A Guide to HIPAA Security and the Law First Edition (ABA Press 2007).
- Co-Author, Information Security: A Legal, Business, and Technical Handbook (ABA Press 2004).
- Co-Author, PKI Assessment Guidelines (ABA Press 2003).
- Author, Risk Management for Consumer Internet Payments (Nat'l Automated Clearinghouse Ass'n 2002).
- Co-Author, Digital Signatures (RSA Press 2002).
- Author, Product Liability Issues in the U.S. and Associated Risk Management, in M. Maurer, et. al, Daimler & Benz Foundation, Autonomous Driving: Technical, Legal and Social Aspects (Springer 2016).
- Author, Drone Product Liability and Risk Management, in D. Dulo, et al., Unmanned Aircraft in the National Airspace: Critical Issues, Technology, and the Law (ABA Press 2015).
- Stephen S. Wu, Unmanned Vehicles and US Product Liability Law, 21(2) Journal of Law, Information & Science 234-254 (2011).
- Stephen S. Wu, Incorporation by Reference and Public Key Infrastructures: Moving the Law Beyond the Paper-Based World, 28 Jurimetrics Journal 317-343 (1998).
- Steve is an active volunteer in Boy Scouts of America (BSA). He currently serves as Scoutmaster of Boy Scout Troop 37 in Los Altos, CA.
- He is a member of the National Eagle Scout Association and served as an advisor and Vigil member of Ohlone Lodge #63, Order of the Arrow (Scouting's National Honor Society).
- Steve headed the Law Merit Badge Program at the 2010 BSA National Jamboree and served on the BSA national merit badge task force.